Backpack Safety Checklist From Your Houston Chiropractor!
In 2013 alone, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission cited 5,415 backpack-related injuries treated at emergency rooms. Doctors of chiropractic (DCs) point to the dangers of heavy backpacks, resulting in injuries ranging from acute and chronic back pain to other painful conditions.
The American Chiropractic Association (ACA) recommends that parents choose the right backpack (see list below) and then help their children pack them properly, leaving out unnecessary items to insure they weigh no more than 10 percent of a child’s body weight.
- Is the backpack the correct size for your child?
- Does the backpack have padded shoulder straps for comfort?
- Are the shoulder straps adjustable?
- Does your child use both straps?
- Does the backpack have a padded back?
- Does the backpack have compartments to keep contents in place?
Are you concerned for the back health of your child? Houston chiropractor – Dr. Beecher of Beecher Chiropractic Clinic can help you and your child!